By Robert A. Andersen
Algal Culturing Techniques is a entire reference on all points of the isolation and cultivation of marine and freshwater algae, together with seaweeds. it truly is divided into seven components that conceal heritage, media education, isolation and purification innovations, mass culturing concepts, telephone counting and progress size recommendations, and stories on subject matters and purposes of algal tradition strategies for environmental investigations.
Algal Culturing Techniques used to be constructed to function either a brand new textbook and key reference for phycologists and others learning aquatic platforms, aquaculture and environmental sciences. scholars of algal ecology, marine botany, marine phycology, and microbial ecology will benefit from the hands-on technique for culturing a number of algae from clean and marine waters. Researchers in undefined, resembling aquaculture, pharmaceutical, foodstuffs, and biotechnology businesses will locate an authoritative and entire reference.
- Sponsored via the Phycological Society of America
- Features colour images and illustrations throughout
- Describes culturing equipment starting from the try tube to outside ponds and coastal seaweed farms
- Details isolation innovations starting from conventional micropipette to automatic stream cytometeric methods
- Includes purification, progress, upkeep, and cryopreservation techniques
- Highlights equipment for estimating algal populations, development charges, setting apart and measuring algal pigments, and detecting and culturing algal viruses
- Features a accomplished appendix of approximately 50 algal tradition medium recipes
- Includes a word list of phycological terms
Read Online or Download Algal Culturing Techniques PDF
Best oceanography books
That includes easy-to-read and -understand chronologies, biographies, thesaurus entries, and charts, measurements, and formulation, scholars, academics, and basic readers will think of those books basic one-stop assets for speedy solutions to commonly asked technological know-how questions. one of the subject matters coated are: acid rain, pollution, Antarctic Circle, archoen eon, asteroids, barrier reefs, universal rocks.
This booklet deals an up to date evaluate of the newest clinical findings in local weather learn at the Baltic Sea basin. This comprises weather alterations within the fresh previous, weather projections up till 2100 utilizing the main subtle neighborhood weather types to be had, and an overview of weather swap affects on terrestrial, freshwater and marine ecosystems.
Key options in Environmental Chemistry offers a latest and concise advent to environmental chemistry ideas and the dynamic nature of environmental platforms. It bargains an excessive, one-semester exam of chosen recommendations encountered during this box of research and gives built-in instruments in explaining advanced chemical difficulties of environmental value.
Publication through Steve Jordan
- Breaking and Dissipation of Ocean Surface Waves
- Sea Floor Exploration: Scientific Adventures Diving into the Abyss (Springer Oceanography)
- Abrupt Climate Change: Mechanisms, Patterns, and Impacts (Geophysical Monograph Series)
- ICES Zooplankton Methodology Manual
- In a Perfect Ocean: The State Of Fisheries And Ecosystems In The North Atlantic Ocean (The State of the World's Oceans)
- Inverse Modeling of the Ocean and Atmosphere
Extra info for Algal Culturing Techniques
185–92. Andersen, R. , Morton, S. , and Sexton, J. P. 1997. CCMP-Provasoli-Guillard National Center for Culture of Marine Phytoplankton. 1997 List of strains. J. Phycol. ):1–75. Carmichael, W. , and Gorham, P. R. 1974. An improved method for obtaining axenic clones of planktonic bluegreen algae. J. Phycol. 10:238–40. Glazer, A. , Chan, C. , and West, J. A. 1997. An unusual phycocyanobilin-containing phycoerythrin of several bluish-colored, acrochaetioid, freshwater red algal species. J. Phycol.
Water Quality Laboratory, Ralph Parsons Laboratory for Water Resources and Hydrodynamics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 33 pp. Nichols, H. W. 1973. Growth media—freshwater. , ed. Handbook of Phycological Methods: Culture Methods and Growth Measurements. Cambridge University Press, New York, pp. 7–24. Pringsheim, E. G. 1912. Kulturversuche mit chlorophyllführenden Mikroorganismen. Mitt. I. Die Kultur von Algen in Agar. Beitr. Biol. Pﬂ. 11:305–34. , and Carlucci, A.
The materials required for preparation of seawater media and the main recipes of stock solutions of macronutrients, trace elements, and vitamins are described. Methods and precautions that are required in media preparation are covered. Recipes for certain algal groups and various natural and synthetic seawater recipes are compared. The recipes have been tested for Key Index Words: Marine Phytoplankton, Culture Media, Artiﬁcial Seawater, Nutrient Enrichments, Trace Metals, Vitamins Algal Culturing Techniques 21 Copyright © 2005 by Academic Press All rights of reproduction in any form reserved.